This adorable ornament makes a great gift for the Jane Austen addict in your life. It's simple to create and once you have the pattern down, fun to modify-- try creating your favorite hero or heroine!
You will need:
- One plain, wooden non pinching clothespin (sometimes called a dollpin)
- Printed pattern pieces: click here to download
- 4”x4” square of felt
- Small bit of curly doll hair
- 12" each Narrow Lace trim and narrow ribbon
- One small feather
- Black paint, paintbrush
- Black fine tipped pen
- Red fine tipped pen
- Gold thread and needle
- Fabric Scissors
- Craft glue or glue gun (preferred)
- Paint Jane’s shoes black. Add her eyes and mouth with pens, once paint is dry.
- While paint is drying, cut out pattern pieces. You will need one skirt and two arms.
- Glue lace trim to bottom edge of skirt.
- Wrap skirt piece around Jane’s body and glue in place. Run a bead of glue down the underside of the seam along the back to fix the fabric in place. Hem should end slightly above her shoes.
- Wrap narrow ribbon around her waist about 1/4" down from her neckline. Tie ribbon in a bow at the back
- Glue arms in place at shoulder height. Glue a feather or feather shaped bit of felt in one hand to represent a pen.
- Wrap narrow lace around her neck and shoulders and tie at ribbon-belt height, trim ends creating a fichu or scarf look.
- Roll doll hair into a slight ball with a few curls hanging down the back. Glue in place so that there are a few curls in front as well.
- Tie small piece of ribbon around her hair to act as a bandeau or headband.
- Thread your needle with gold thread. Sew a loop on the top back of Jane’s gown and knot, so that she can now hang as a Christmas ornament.